Warrant: 3 December 1919 - Consecrated: 4 February 1920
As can be guessed from the name of the Lodge, and the year of the Warrant, this Lodge was formed shortly after the end of the First World War. The origin of the Lodge came about at a meeting on 20th May 1919 when nine brethren assembled at the home of Bro. John Robertson Dawson at 44 Victoria Road, Swindon to talk about forming a new Lodge. Bro. William Kirby was elected Secretary and it was agreed to approach the Royal Sussex Lodge of Emulation (355) and ask them to support a petition for a new Lodge.
The first suggested name for the new Lodge was “Calley Lodge” and it was recommended that General Thomas Charles Pleydell Calley be asked to be the first Master. It is understood that General Calley, whilst flattered with this proposal for a new Lodge in his name, suggested that the Lodge should be named in remembrance of those who gave their lives in the Great War.
At the next meeting on 17th July, it was reported that the new Lodge should be called the “Lodge of Remembrance”, that Major Fitzroy Pleydell Goddard be first Master and that General Calley be IPM (both having agreed to accept the offices). The Royal Sussex Lodge of Emulation having resolved to support the petition agreed to put their Lodge room and furniture at our disposal. At the same meeting it was resolved that Gooch Lodge (1295) also be contacted to support a petition for the new Lodge.
On 18th December 1919 the Secretary reported that he had received notification from the Provincial Grand Secretary that the new Lodge Warrant would be issued under the number 4037.
The Ceremony of Consecration took place at 2.30 pm on Wednesday, 4 February 1920 at the Masonic Hall, Old Swindon. This was preceded by luncheon at the Goddard Arms Hotel, Swindon at 1.00 pm (price 4/6), attended by 95 Brethren.