St Edmund Lodge No.4714
Meeting at The Masonic Hall, Stanier Road, Calne, Wiltshire.
The Lodge meets on the fourth Tuesday in every month at 6.15pm (except June, July, August and December)
Installation at May meeting when the Lodge Tyles at 5.00pm
To Book The Hall
Warrant 4 February 1925. Consecrated 27 May 1925
The Consecrating Officer was the Provincial Grand Master the Earl of Radnor and he was assisted by the Deputy Provincial Grand Master, W Bro T C P Calley. On this occasion the PrGM not only consecrated the Lodge, he presented the working tools in each degree and gave the three addresses!
The first Master was W Bro B J Spackman P Pr G Supt Works; the Senior Warden, W Bro A L Forrester PPrADC; and the Junior Warden, Bro W E Pritchard. The ceremony took place at the Town Hall, Calne, where the Lodge met until 1939. From there it moved, until 1963, and held their ceremonies in Church Street, Calne. This was a rather ancient building which had a lot of character but was proving expensive and difficult to maintain, so in 1984 the Lodge used the Masonic Hall, Chippenham until their new home at the Masonic Hall, 17 The Green was ready, into which they moved in August 1985.
St Edmund Lodge was not the first Lodge to have met in Calne. In 1853 the Lansdowne Lodge of Unity No 909 was formed, but it did not do very well at Calne and after some years was moved to Chippenham. It is now No. 626.
The Masonic Hall at 17 The Green, Calne also proved to be difficult to maintain, and once again the Lodge was hosted in Chippenham until December 2008. St. Edmund now meet at their purpose built Masonic Hall in Stanier Road , which is on the Porte Marsh Estate in Calne. The Foundation Stone was laid and dedicated by the Provincial Grand Master - R W Bro Francis Wakem BEM. QPM on the 14th June 2008.